Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Quiet Please.

'Nothing makes me feel better - calmer, clearer and happier - than being in one place, absorbed in a book, a conversation, a piece of music. It's actually something deeper than mere happiness: it's joy, which the monk David Steindl-Rast describes as "that kind of happiness that doesn't depend on what happens.'"


                      Pico Iyer, The Joy of Quiet (NY Times, Jan 1 2012)


        There is a paradox, I know, in posting a link (click on the text above) to this article, here, in a blog, and then linking it to Facebook. The article - about how technology has impacted our lives, and more specifically, how we are beginning, perhaps, to recognize the need to unplug, get away from it all, at least for moments at a time - is elegantly carried, and well worth reading.
          For my part, outside of business-related enterprises, I'm steering clear of Facebook for a while, and looking to monitor my internet use, period (Iyer declares that he doesn't go online until he's finished his writing for the day. Wise man, evidently). The blog...well, this blog is different, at least for me. Whether you should waste your time with it, of course, strikes me as a reasonable question...

No comments: